Amber Wharf -
A series of plans, which are not to scale, has been produced in order to analyse how the
Amber Wharf site developed and where previous features were located in relation to what
The plans are based on the available mapping information from 1805 (which did not show the whole area), 1849, 1880, 1900 and 1916. In addition a plan has been created of the area as it exists now. Each plan is shown in a different colour so features from earlier plans are identified by these colours in later ones. In this way you can see how the site developed.
These plans have also been overlaid onto the 2015 plan.
The full set of plans are included in Amber Wharf Development 1805 -
Examples of the plans are shown opposite and below.
The 1805 plan, included in the lease of the works to Edward Banks & Co., shows the cut from the canal to the wharf and three lime kilns for burning the limestone transported down from the quarry at Crich on the gangroad. The three semi-
The manager’s house, Lime Grange, is shown but the exact location where the gangroad entered the site cannot be confirmed from this plan. As can be seen from the 2015 plan, the site has significantly changed over the years and little evidence of the original infrastructure survives today. The canal arm was filled in in the late 1800s.
The canal today today at this point is no longer in water and two residential properties have been built on the route of the canal. The different land levels on the site have been changed some as a result of the major expansion programme initiated around 1900 to increase production. This programme included raising the height of the kilns and the bridge over Drovers Way where the gangroad entered the wharf site and implementing new conveyors and crushers on the site. These are visible on some of the photographs included in the Archive but no evidence of them on the site survives today.
Two kilns do survive today but these are the larger kilns of a much later date to those built in the 1790s and at a different location on the site.
On 1805 plan
On 1849 plan
On 1880 plan
On 1900 plan
On 1906 plan
On 2015 plan
|LIMESTONE QUARRIES & LIMEWORKS|