The project team surveyed most of the route of the gangroad in sections at various times during the course of the project. At each site selected features of the railway were recorded, measured and photographed. A short summary of the conclusions from those surveys follows.
The tunnel and the bridges, together with their approach cuttings and embankments, were the only significant earthworks on the early railway apart from between Dimple Lane and the mine where the line was built along a terrace. Cuttings and banks were lined in stone and stone boundary walls were provided. These are more substantial than those found on some other early lines where wooden fences or quickset hedges were typically used.
There were pre-
During the survey in Hilts quarry a section of rail was discovered and this has been donated by Rolls Royce, the owners of the site, to the project. The later branch extension of the line to Hilts quarry built in the 1840s passed under Dimple Lane and some of the ironwork used in the bridge construction has been preserved by the owner of the engine shed site.
A set of plans has been produced showing the development of the Amber Wharf from 1805 to 2015.
More information on the Amber Wharf